The Film Lions shortlist was was just released in Cannes, and Canada made the list 10 times for nine different agencies.
Red Urban made the list twice, both times for Volkswagen work: once for “GTD: Ice Cream” and again for “Once More, The Story of VIN 903874.”
Here’s who else will have a shot at a Film Lion at the Saturday awards gala which will serve as the finale to the 61st International Festival of Creativity.
• lg2 for Krispy Kernels’ “Meditation”
• Tribal DDB Toronto for Kol Kid’s “Viewmaster”
• JWT Toronto for Canadian Film Fest’s “Best Extra”
• Bensimon Byrne for the Government of Ontario (Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities) for “Hire Jim”
• Grey Group Canada for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America’s “No More Silence”
• Dare Digital Toronto for Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s “Sean”
• One Twenty Three West for Saxx Underwear Co.’s “Saxx Prom”
• John St. for its self-promotional film “ExFeariential”
Union’s Lance Martin is on the Film jury this representing Canada.
Canada made 117 submissions to the Film Lions this year, down by only one from last year when 10 Canadian agencies made the list from 118 entries. Canada one of a handful of competing countries who’ve submitted around 100 ads to the show. However, the field is led by
the U.K., which submitted 271 Film ads, and the U.S., which submitted a whopping 875 spots (though this actually marks a decline in American Film submissions from 1,052 spots last year).
In total, there are 2,838 submissions in contention, down from 3,152 last year.
Want the latest news and winners from the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity? Visit Marketing @ Cannes.