Leo Burnett has been named the most awarded agency in Canada by The Directory Big Won rankings.
The annual analysis of the world’s ad agencies and campaigns – as measured by the quality and quantity of awards won – is based on nearly 4,500 campaigns and creative executions by 1,595 agencies that won awards at 39 shows around the world.
The Big Won is produced by Directory, a U.K.-based quarterly on direct marketing helmed by Patrick Collister, former executive creative director of Ogilvy & Mather London.
The Big Won’s top 10 agencies in Canada are:
1. Leo Burnett
2. BBDO Toronto
4. Lowe Roche
6. John St.
7. Red Urban
8. DDB Vancouver and Taxi Toronto (tie)
10. DDB Toronto and Grey Group Canada (tie)
The top 10 Canadian campaigns from 2012 are:
1. “Touch the Rainbow” (Wrigley Canada), BBDO Toronto
2. “Pain Squad” (Hospital for Sick Children), Cundari
3. “A Personal Apology” (Johnson & Johnson), Lowe Roche
4. “Find Red” (Mars Canada), Proximity/BBDO Toronto
5. “World’s Most Valuable Social Network” (Missing Children Society of Canada), Grey Group Canada
6. “Food for the Everyman” (Smith Restaurant and Bar), Leo Burnett
7. “Creative Chef” (Edward Pond), Taxi Toronto
8. BMW 1M Launch (BMW), Cundari
9. “Nothing But Potential” (Raising the Roof), Leo Burnett
10. “Cat” (Wrigley Canada), BBDO Toronto
BBDO Canada’s “Touch the Rainbow” campaign for Skittles that launched in 2011 had a few big wins on the international awards circuit including a Bronze Lion and Gold and Bronze Clios. The offbeat commercials invite viewers to put their finger on their computer screens and “touch the rainbow.”
The Big Won also ranks the creative minds behind these award-winning campaigns. In Canada, Directory’s top creative directors are Leo Burnett’s Lisa Greenberg and Judy John (143 points each); BBDO’s Peter Ignazi and Carlos Moreno (136 points each); Leo Burnett’s Steve Persico and Anthony Chelvanathan (97 points each); Mike Donaghey, formerly of BBDO (85); Cundari’s Brent Choi – though he’s now with JWT (85); BBDO’s Chris Joakim (85); and Proximity’s John Gagne (84).
BBDO Worldwide was also named 2012’s most awarded advertising agency network, and its North American chairman and chief creative officer David Lubars was ranked the top creative leader in the world. Colenso BBDO Auckland was named the top single creative agency in the world. Leo Burnett Toronto landed at number 30 on that international ranking and BBDO Toronto placed 40th.
Impressively, Cundari placed seventh on Directory’s Top 10 digital agencies worldwide list – the only Canadian agency ranked in any of top agencies/campaigns lists worldwide. The company’s Pain Squad mobile app for The Hospital for Sick Children (which won Best of Show at the 2012 Marketing Awards, two Cannes Lions and a bevy of other trophies) was named one of the top digital campaigns in the world.
The full list of winners and details on Directory’s scoring can be found at BigWonRankings.com.